Behind The Scenes at Allrush – Heat Transfer Printing
In our last blog post, we shared a behind the scenes look at how to create custom clothing using a silkscreen. We’re back again with a whole new method… but this time, we’re bringing the heat!
Heat transfer printing is a newer method of fabric decoration that uses heat, rather than paint, to print your image. Remember 10-15 years ago, when iron-on printable paper was all the rage? Similar idea, but these days the execution is far better.
Here’s how we do it at Allrush:
Part 1: Decide on a Print
- We choose an image, graphic or text to print – or you choose one for us.
- We print the image of our special heat transfer paper, in reverse so it goes on the right way.
- We trim the paper to the appropriate size and shape.
Part 2: Prep the Machine
- We use a special heat press machine to transfer the image. For each type of material and paper, we use a different heat setting.
- Set the pressure. The thinner the material, the more pressure we use to ensure it transfers perfectly.
- We set the timer to allow the perfect time for the design to transfer.
Part 3: Transfer the Design
- We place your chosen fabric on the machine face up.
- We place the design over the fabric, lined up to where you’d like the design to be.
- Close the press and press the start button.
- Once the timer goes off, we remove your fabric and peel off your design. Once its cooled, you’re ready to go!
There you have it! This is a fun way to create custom fabrics far easier and less expensive than silk screening.
If you, like most of us, would rather spend your weekends watching Disney+ than doing DIY projects at home, check out the number of custom printing options at Allrush. Let us handle it, so you don’t have to.